Pages

Sunday 13 June 2010

Frere Jacques

Talking of Estonians, I was also able to add another language to my collection of European versions of the well-known Frere Jacques. I stumbled over this by accident many years ago at a multi-national barbecue and have been collecting ever since. I was quite pleased with myself until I looked on Wikipedia where the possible origins of the song are suggested. If it is a taunt at Martin Luther then this might explain why protestant England does not have a version in its own language. Alternatively it could be a British stiff-upper lip not wishing to suggest that Brother Jack is in any way sleeping longer than he should.

Wikipedia also has many different versions with translations, easily out-scoring my collection. The range must put it up there just behind Happy Birthday as one of the most ubiquitous tunes in the world.

Although the thrust is the same in most languages - someone sleeping when the bells are ringing - the person varies between John/Jacob and Martin, and the clocks or bells make a charming variety of sounds, like French farm animals. The Estonian version, to complete the loop, has smiths.

I shall carry on collecting ...